No 111(F) Sqn

228 OCU

Formed at Dier-el-Belah, Palestine on 1 August 1917 as the first dedicated fighter squadron in the region, its two main tasks were to restrict enemy reconnaissance flights and counter the increasing German fighter threat over the Suez. The Squadron flew a variety of types available including Bristol Scouts, Monoplanes and Fighters, DH2s and SE5s until standardising on the latter type in 1918. As the tide of the War turned, the unit started ground-attack patrols and such was the pilot's skill, that the Squadron was able to turn the Turkish retreat into a rout. 'Treble One' withdrew to Egypt after the end of the War and was renumbered No 14 Squadron in February 1920. 1 October 1923, saw 111 Squadron reform, this time at Duxford, but again with a variety of types namely Grebes, Snipes and Siskins, the latter eventually equipping the whole Squadron until the arrival of Bulldogs in 1931.

Five years later, No 111 received Gladiators, and in January 1938 the unit had the distinction of becoming the first Hurricane squadron. The Squadron flew as part of both Nos 11 and 12 Groups during the Battle of Britain and replaced its Hurricanes with Spitfires in April 1942. In November the unit moved to Gibraltar in preparation for Operation Torch - the invasion of North Africa - where it supported the 1st Army through Algeria and Tunisia before moving to Malta in June 1943 to cover the invasion of Sicily. With the Allies advancing through Italy, No 111 moved with them, remaining there until after the cessation of hostilities when it moved to Austria. It was disbanded May 1947 and did not rejoin the RAF's order of battle until December 1953 when it was reformed with Meteors at North Weald.

In 1955 the first Hunters had arrived, and two years later No 111 Squadron was nominated as the official RAF aerobatic team. At first the team, known as the 'Black Arrows', flew five and then nine aircraft until, at the 1958 Farnborough airshow, the Squadron, aided by No 56 Squadron, entered the record books when it successfully looped twenty-two aircraft! In 1961, the unit converted to Lightnings, successive marks staying until 1974 when Phantoms arrived. Following a move from Coningsby to Leuchars, the Squadron re-equipped with ex-Royal Navy Phantoms and these survived until the early 1990s when Tornado F3s became the Squadron mount until March 2011, when the squadron was disbanded, at the same time ending the Tornado F3 service in the RAF.


111 Sqn Montage 111(F) Sqn Op Crest 111 Sqn Patch 111 zap 111 zap 111 Sqn Spook 111 Sqn Tomb Patch 111 Dacre Winners 70th Anniversary 60th Anniversary Cover 60th Anniversary Malta 1978 APC 1979 Blue Grotto 1978 Sunday Snecs! On QRA XV589 Malta 78 Black Mike XV574 Air test XV574  
111(F) Sqn Montage
111()F Sqn Op Crest
(with Kings Crown) 
111(F) Sqn
Groundcrew Patch... 
.... and the zap A later version of the 111 Sqn zap.
111(F) Sqn
Spook  
111(F) Sqn
Phantom Patch  
111(F) Sqn Dacre Trophy Winners Patch from 1982 
The 111(F) Sqn 70th Anniversary patch 
The Cover from the menu at the Sqn's 60th Anniversary celebrations. 
Inside of the 60th Anniversary programme. 
111 Sqn Malta 1978 where they flew 111 sorties in 2 days ending with the obligitory diamond 9.
(Opens in a New Window)  
111(F) Sqn on APC in 1979. Good visibility of faces on the large image.
(Opens in New Window)  
111 Sqn SNCO's Blue Grotto
Malta 1978 
111 Snecs relaxing in typical Cyprus Sunday afternoon style! 
A couple of likely lads, proud to serve doing their stint on Q at Leuchars. The jet looks like XT870/S of 111(F) Sqn and the linies are, allegedly, Stuart Robertson and Jeff Ashmore. 
 A shot of a fairly well known mishap in Jun 1980, (Thanks Charlie!!) 111's XV589 "Papa" after it's radome "popped" open. I have it on good authority that Aggie Oates was the last person to close the radome. He is now a cabbie around Forres area, so watch out!!!Supplied by
Frank KerrĀ 
XV485 taken during an APC in Malta 1978 and it looks like 228 OCU must have got their hands on it at some point....! 
111(F) Sqns "Black Mike" XV582 coming in to Leuchars over Tentsmuir.
(Opens in New Window)
Here is a nice shot of XV574 during it's Air Test on leaving St Athens for the last time in May 1989. 
XV574 - "Z" of 111(F) Sqn on Golf Dispersal, RAF Akrotiri, 1986.
(Opens in New Window)  
 
  Supplied by
Jan-Toine van Hooft
Supplied by
Daz Talbot
Supplied by
Chris Turner
Supplied by
Chris Turner
Supplied by
Bob Gaff
Supplied by
Mick Slorance
Supplied by
Mark Jones
(Phantom Preservation Group)
Supplied by
Bob Gaff
    Supplied by
Mick Slorance
Supplied by
Mick Slorance
Supplied by
Mick Slorance
Who sent me this???? Supplied by
Davey Ross via Dickie Brew
Supplied by
Frank KerrĀ 
  Supplied by
Daz Talbot
Supplied by
Colin Rimmer
Supplied by
Mick Slorance